Today was a super busy day for me. My day flopped between taking care of the Littles and keeping busy with our wonderful house guests:)
After I got the kiddos to school, Granny, Mom, and I went to yoga. Then, we wondered around the shops on historic Main St. Our wondering led us to candy… by no great mystery.
I couldn’t choose just one, so I got a key lime and a mint chocolate truffle… yummmmmm:)
Before dinner Josh and the Littles headed outside for a project. Five minutes later, Little came in to tell me I wasn’t allowed to come outside. Five minutes after that, Littlest came in to reassert the point vigorously, so I knew they were up to something. I turns out, Josh was digging out the spot right next to the front door, so he could make me a flower bed.
I made Tater Tot Casserole for dinner and Orange Cake for dessert, which was eagerly eaten by little kids and those who are only kids at heart.
- 1 c granulated sugar
- 1/2 c unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 c buttermilk
- 1/4 c water
- 1 egg
- 1 t orange extract
- 1 t vanilla extract
- zest of an orange
- 1 c cake flour
- 1/2 t baking powder
- orange food color (optional)
- 8 oz pkg. cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 c unsalted butter, softened
- 1 c powdered sugar
- 1 t vanilla bean paste
- 1/4 t salt
- Preheat oven to 400. Grease and flour a square baking pan.
- Cream together butter and sugar. Stir in buttermilk, water, egg, extracts and zest.
- Stir in flour and baking powder. Add food color, if desired.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake 20 minutes.
- Cream together cream cheese and butter.
- Beat in sugar, vanilla paste, and salt.
- Spread over cooled orange cake.