We started the evening with a game of dreidel.
We used this helpful chart style instruction sheet to guide our game.
Then, Charlotte lit the Menorah while I sang the blessings.
Baruch ahah Adonai, Eloheinu Melech Ha-Olam, asher kiddeshanu b’mitzvotav, vitzivanu, lehadlik ner shel Hanukkah. Give thanks for the blessing of lighting the Hanukkah candles.
Baruch ahah Adonai, Eloheinu Melech Ha-Olam, she-asah missim la-avotaynu bayamim ha-hem barman hazen. Give thanks for the miracles performed for our ancestors.
I put the finishing touches on dinner, while Charlotte read The Chanukkah Guest to the three kiddos.
Latke Topped Salmon served with Applesauce and Sour Cream
Roasted Root Vegetables and Dinner Rolls
Pecan Cheesecake Pie
- 1 1/2 pound salmon filet (thick end)
- 2 T butter or ghee, cubed
- salt and pepper
- 16 oz package shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1/4 c butter or ghee
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- Place salmon in prepared dish. Arrange bits of butter on top. Season with salt and pepper. Bake 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, brown potatoes in ghee, in a hot skillet until moderately crisp and golden.
- Top salmon with cooked hash brown. Serve with applesauce and sour cream on the side.
They don’t look glamorous because my photography is lacking a certain je ne said quoi, as it usually does, but I assure you… they taste glamorous!
- 3 beets
- 4 carrots
- 3 parsnips
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 red onion
- 1/2 c cider vinegar
- 1/2 c olive oil
- 1/4 c brown sugar
- 1 t thyme
- Peel and thinly slice all vegetables.
- Preheat oven to 450. Line two jellyroll pans with foil.
- Combine vinegar, oil, sugar, and thyme. Pour over vegetables and toss to coat.
- Spread vegetables evenly over prepared pans. Bake 35-40 minutes, rotating pans halfway through.
- In future, I plan to by raw pre-cut sweet potato fries and half baby carrots to save prep time.
I used this recipe. However, I intend to use the changes in the recipe below in future.
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- 2 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese, soft
- 1/4 c granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 c dark corn syrup
- 2/3 c granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 T butter, melted
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1 c pecan halves
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease a springform pan. Center and press pie crust into pan.
- Beat together cheese layer. Pour over crust.
- Beat together pecan layer, stirring in nuts last. Pour over cheese layer carefully, so they don't mix.
- Lightly fold down any crust that extends more than 1/4 inch beyond filling. Bake 50-60 minutes.
Hope your Hanukkah was great like ours!